2011-03-06

Invasive plants at Home Depot and Lowes?

Hot on the heels of my find of Ceanothus 'Yankee Point' at Home Depot, I found this on Saturday at both Home Depot and Lowes.


Scotch broom (Cytisus scoparius) and French broom (Genista monspessulana) are scourges of the local back country and while I know there are supposed to be "non-invasive" types such as this one, I'm still dismayed every time I see it since I don't know what sort of testing these plants go through before being sold at Home Depot and its ilk.

This one is being sold as Genista (Cytisus) x spachiana (Sweet Broom) which is believed to be a cross between Genista canariensis and Genista stenopetala. It will cross again with the invasive French Broom, which is how we have the selection Cytisus 'Porlock'.

Researchers are puzzled why Broom is such an innocuous plant in its home ranges and so invasive here.

2 comments:

  1. Yipes! shudder, shudder. We have an infestation of broom along the roadsides here in the foothills south of Yosemite. It is up on the road above us too, and even after spraying that patch with Roundup, it has crept down the hill to our property, where we pounce on it fiercely.

    I think I've seen printable notes from an invasive plant site that you can give to nursery managers. explaining what invasives are, but if they are maintaining that these are non invasive types what can be done?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought one at home depot because i liked the smell of it.. why would they sell it if it's invasive?! Puzzles me also... they need to start selling only natives -__-

    ReplyDelete