One pot at a time status update

This post is dated 29 Feb which is when it was started, but then I saved it as a draft and completed it on 04 Mar.

It's time for a status report on my One Pot At A Time projects. One Pot At A Time may be an outgrowth of Project SOUND at Cal State Dominguez Hills. For more of what I know about it, click on the One Pot tag at the bottom of this post.

I received four different types of wildflower seed that I sowed on on 19 Jan. A fifth seed type I procured from the Payne Foundation and sowed later. I used wonderfully inexpensive ($9 each), blue glazed clay pot, 12" across, that I purchased from the seconds pile at the Pot Depot. The pots get direct sun during the middle of the day, but are shaded during morning and evening. I think the seedlings would all do better in a sunnier spot, but lack of time and higher priority projects seem to make this difficult for me. Later in the year it'll be sunnier in my back yard as the sun moves higher in the sky.

Coastal Tidytips (Layia platyglossa) - First out of the gate. I think that I took pains to distribute the seed uniformly, but it certainly came up non-uniformly. Besides the obvious reason for this (that I didn't really spread the seed uniformly) I can think of two more possible reasons: aggressive watering moved the seed around and shade from the edge of the pot has delayed the germination of the seeds on the shaded side of the pot. I think that a more recent inspection of the pot shows that I now have germination of one or two more on the right side of this picture. I've also turned the pot recently. We'll see if that hurries the more shaded side.

Douglas' Meadowfoam (Limnanthes douglasii) - Sparse germination, but perhaps these few are just leading the pack.

Globe Gilia (Gilia capitata) - No germination yet.

Miniature Lupine (Lupinus bicolor) - This had poor germination. Re-reading my information sheet I see that it likes to have the seed soaked for 24H prior to sowing. All the seeds did get the benefit of nearly a week of rain, but perhaps that wasn't soon enough after sowing.

Here's the Lupinus up close

Linanthus ciliatus (now called Leptosiphon ciliatus) from T. Payne purchse was sown later, but is coming up gangbusters already. There's been a great deal more sprouts since this photo was taken.
A zoomed image.

Edit: 05 March - These photos all have a reddish cast that I wasn't aware of when posting. This hasn't been a problem before, so I blame my fumble fingers for selecting some odd compensation setting on my digital camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment