2007-01-03

Electrical service upgrade; permeable pavement

Apparently Tom from Edison was struck ill on the 20th of December when he said he'd come and spot my new 200A service entrance. I'm asking for the new SE to be a replacement for the old one, but the rules for placement may have changed since 1952 when this house was built and due to the presence of my new doors next to the old box. Tom's absence took until to day to resolve because of the holidays. I'm now getting a visit on Friday from Vivian on Friday, the earliest that Edison could get me back in the queue. On the phone she doesn't sound like she messes around, even though I told her I wanted to educate myself by talking with her when she arrives. Educate means influence her decision, of course. She didn't see through that ploy at all. Nope, not at all.

I came across this blog and a little googling lead to Angelus Block Co in Rialto - almost next door. They manufacture and supply the SF Rima permeable paver, an 8.2" by 8.2" 80 mm thick , 16+ pound, square paver that allows for either turf or gravel between pavers. This could be useful for my driveway. This idea is a little bit of a change from the turf pavers that I had considered, or the poured in place concrete pavers that I've been daydreaming about recently. The turf pavers, with internal opening for grass to grow in, have a tendency to break. These pavers, with a gap at their edges, are much less prone to breakage. You can also walk on them with much less fear of catching your foot in one of the cells (or your heel if you have spiky ones). There is actually an interlocking concrete paver institute!

Water permeable paving is good for the environment of course, because it doesn't just funnel rain water and pollutants to the nearest storm drain, but what sorts of native plants will grow in the cracks between pavers or am I doomed to pea gravel? My brother will point out that I currently have a permeable pavement, but I don't think that 30 year old cracked asphalt really qualifies.

1 comment:

  1. We didn't have much luck with blue star creeper ground cover. However, creeping thyme flourished in sunny areas near the pavers. The thyme loves the heat.

    ReplyDelete