2006-10-03

The Crescent Rod

I recently purchased one of these things. It's a curved shower curtain rod. The goal is to give you a bit more elbow room as compared to a straight rod. It's a good idea. The puchase price was a bit steep: $40, but I was pleased with the apparent durability of the parts: they are a thick walled tube for the rod and nicely cast wall mounts with cleanly machined screw threads and a tough looking white painted finish (well, so far, since I haven't yet used the thing). I ran into one hitch, however. This isn't a spring loaded rod - it's an exact fit. My walls were a few inches too far apart. Luckily you can call the company on an 800 number and order an extension for free in just a few hassle-free minutes. My extension is on the way!

Correction: That's a white powder coated finish, not paint. Bright stainless and brushed stainless are also advertised. In the store I assumed those SS finishes were plated chrome and avoided them since I anticipated rust. If they are SS, then maybe I should have bought one of them. I wonder how they plated stainless - that's not a process I've heard of before. Chrome, yes. Stainless, no.

2 comments:

  1. you mean you didn't measure before you bought the crescent bar?

    when you are done with that, can you help me hang my crescent bar? when i used one at a hotel, i decided we needed one at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't measure :( Also, I'd be happy to hang one up for you.

    More: To my credit I do know that I have a standard 5' tub, but I also know that the tiling in my bathroom is offset from the tub end by about 4". I couldn't see inside the entire package, and I surmised that the advertised entenders were in the part I couldn't see. They weren't, but the phone call was so painless that it really doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete