2016-11-08

First Crocus sativus

 I've been waiting for these flowers for years.

Crocus sativus or saffron crocus

It's Crocus sativus or saffron crocus and the stigmas are the famed spice of the same name.  Sadly, these photos are of the singular flower that I've seen this year.

Crocus sativus or saffron crocus

In some ways these are the complete polar opposite of the native plants that I usually post about since they don't exist in nature.  They are sterile, and all propagation is vegetative - humans have been in the loop for a looong time.
Crocus sativus or saffron crocus

I might have poor growing practices since I have never had a bumper crop.  Advice is to divide and replant the corms right after the foliage has faded. Division prevents overcrowding, which can lead to a decrease in flowering.  I've never divided mine.  One web site recommends a planting density of 12 bulbs per sq. ft., 2" deep.  Mine probably exceed that.  Deeper depth of planting favors flowers.  Shallower dept favors corm production.

No comments:

Post a Comment