2013-10-16

Flora of Lair of the Bear 6-16-13

I took these pictures last summer during a family vacation near Pinecrest.  Pinecrest Lake is shown below.

Pinecrest Lake
I took a simplistic approach to identifying them with the help of CalFlora.org and my own intuition, so the IDs could be wrong.



Sidalcea glaucescens (Glaucous checker mallow), the only Sidalcea that grows in the vicinity.
Sidalcea glaucescens (Glaucous checker mallow)
Wyethia with butterfly
I got fascinated by Lupins (Lupines to us N. Americans) when I was there.  As I looked around, I thought there must have been at least a half dozen different types.  One type that prefers meadows is shown below.  I believe it's Lupinus latifolius var. columbianus (Broad leaved lupine)
Lupinus latifolius var. columbianus (Broad leaved lupine)?


Lupinus latifolius var. columbianus (Broad leaved lupine)
This looks like Drymocalis, but I'll have to see if I have leaf photos to know for certain.
Iris hartwegii ssp. hartwegii (Hartweg's iris, rainbow iris). There's only one species of Iris here, though there is a special white flowered subspecies (unnamed) that I have read grows only in the vicinity of Pinecrest. I have seen it in previous years, but not this year.

Penstemon laetus (mountain blue penstemon)

Contrast that with this Penstemon Mountain Pride: 
Penstemon newberryi Mountain pride

Rosa bridgesii (Pygmy Rose)
Rosa bridgesii (Pygmy Rose)

Aquilegia formosa (Columbine)
Aquilegia formosa (Columbine)
Aquilegia formosa (Columbine)
Heuchera


Castilleja applegatei ssp. pinetorum (Pine wavy leaf paintbrush)?
Chamaebatiaria of some sort


Spiraea splendens (rose meadowsweet)
Spiraea splendens (rose meadowsweet)

Spiraea splendens (rose meadowsweet)

Spiraea splendens (rose meadowsweet)

Calyptridium monospermum (One seeded pussypaws) with insect.
Calyptridium monospermum (One seeded pussypaws)




No comments:

Post a Comment