2012-09-12

Return of Fall!

We've had a long heat wave, but all signs are that it will break soon, and just in time for fall, my favorite season.  Fall officially starts on Sept 22 this year, the date of the autumnal equinox when there are 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night.  However, today while driving over the top of Palos Verdes I encountered dense fog, to the point that I turned on the fog lights, slowed down, and made sure I was in my proper lane and had made the correct turns. 

Wikipedia says that "According to United States tradition, autumn runs from the day after Labor Day (i.e. the Tuesday following the first Monday of September) through Thanksgiving (i.e. the fourth Thursday in November), after which the holiday season that demarcates the unofficial beginning of winter begins." But I say that fall arrives when you can feel it in the air and see it in the plants. A look at the long term weather forecast shows higher than normal temperatures even at the 10-day mark, but now I can feel the beginnings of fall and it felt great!

No comments:

Post a Comment