2009-04-13

Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Cumin and Cinnamon

I made this recipe from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Grilled-Lamb-Kebabs-with-Cumin-and-Cinnamon-103628Epicurious for family on Easter. I made once a couple years ago and liked it then. I think I liked it even more this time. It's been a crowd pleaser both times.

Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Cumin and Cinnamon

Bon Appétit | July 2000

Ingredients
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 3 1/2-pound sirloin half leg of lamb, bone removed, fat trimmed, meat cut into 1 1/4- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
* 6 12-inch metal skewers

Preparation

Whisk oil, cumin, pepper, salt and cinnamon in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Add lamb to dish and toss to coat well with oil mixture. Let marinate at room temperature 1 hour or refrigerate 1 1/2 to 4 hours, tossing occasionally.

Prepare barbecue (medium heat) or preheat broiler. Thread lamb pieces onto skewers, dividing equally (about 5 pieces per skewer). Grill or broil lamb to desired doneness, turning occasionally, about 6 minutes for medium-rare.



I marinate in a plastic bag which lets me really work the spices around on the meat. I also used slightly more of both cumin and cinnamon than called for in the recipe. I justify this because my spices might not be as fresh and pungent as the day they were purchased. The cinnamon is mostly subtle background in the proportions given, but occasionally you get unexpected bursts. I think that next time I'll use about 5:4 cumin to cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment