2013-06-07

Currant news, etc

Yes, currant. As in Ribes. The one that I planted this year is the one with the most fruits. The darker fruits are more tangy than sweet. Hopefully, I'll have another taste before the birds get them all.
Ribes aureum var. gracillimum (Golden Currant)

The jacaranda trees along the street are past their peak, but only somewhat and they are still glorious.
jacaranda

This buckwheat came from Annie's Annuals.  I was betting that she'd have a more florific selection than I had planted previously.
Eriogonum grande rubescens "Red Buckwheat"

Me: Look at this.
Juli: That's beautiful. What is it?
Me: Buckwheat.
Juli: [silence]

She's not a fan of buckwheat, but this might turn her around.
Eriogonum grande rubescens "Red Buckwheat"

4 comments:

  1. The jacaranda trees are lovely.. I wonder how tall this tree can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the SF Valley and my golden currant gets a very bad case of rust on the bottom of the leaves. This happens on ones in the shade and the sun. Do you see this as well? DO you know what to do about it? The leaves get the rust even before the blossoms form and then they fall off. I'm thinking of pulling them out completely and replacing them with a coffeberry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, the jacaranda trees are so lovely and is in full bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies for not responding until now.

    @Recardo - I've seen this used as street tree in many places in S. Ca and it rarely gets taller than 50 feet (15 meters).

    @Anonymous - I'm only guessing since I don't have much information to go on, but it might be that your currants are planted too close to a wall so that they don't get a breeze to help the leaves evaporate surface moisture. Or perhaps they are hit by an overhead sprinkler (yours or a neighbors'). Either of those conditions could cause rust. I didn't have a problem with rust in my previous garden with currants, but I had a huge problem with rust on blackberries, which I planted too close to the north side of a fence.

    ReplyDelete