2008-05-21

Catching up with One Pot At A Time; garden blooms

These photos were taken on or around the 12th of May, but I have not had a lot of time to keep current with my blog.

My very own One Pot experiment with Leptosiphon (new name) Linanthus (old name) is coming along in fine style. I like this plant a lot. It has a Seussian look to it with an outsized spike-covered ball on a spindly stalk topped off with a white and golden flower. The petals of the flower turn progressively more purple - perhaps after pollination. The pots have a 12" diameter opening to give you an idea of scale.




My last official One Pot project is Douglas' Meadowfoam (Limnanthes, which I'm always confusing with the previous plant's former genus) which has not held its flowers for as long as I had hoped. Still, this is a nice annual. I wonder what the seeds will look like?



The Gilia One Pot plants that I've dissed for not germinating and over which I sowed Claytonia (which also did not germinate) have recently produced one (count it) little plant. Phhtt.

The Tidy Tips are just about done, and I've harvested seeds from them as they ripen.

Elsewhere in the garden there's a native "Seaside" daisy (Erigeron glaucus "Sea Breeze") at the margins of my dwarf citrus in the front. It's doing really well as it enters its second full year and deserves its reputation as an unfussy garden champ. The flowers are a bit more purple than this photo shows.


More like this, but it's still not quite right. I'm not too satisfied with my camera.


This pot of Lavatera babies is interesting because they came from year old seed that I scattered and then ignored, aside from moistening the soil, believing that few would germinate. Finally one tall sprout showed its head (at lower right in photo), but the leaves were devoured almost overnight. It seems to have recovered well, however, and in the meantime other plants have joined it. The seeds come from Jim Osborne, who's family (Grandmother?) gathered the originals on one of the channel islands years ago. Jim has grown it in his backyard since then.


Triteleia laxa "Ithuriel's spear". This is new as of last fall in my garden. It's a bit out of focus, but I thought I'd document it anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I like the erigeron flowers next to the oranges. Perfect circles and nice colors.

    ReplyDelete