15 November 2009 - updated completed items from summer
16 June 2009
13 June 2009
29 May 2009
This is the fifth numbered To Do list that I've started here on my blog. Because I was feeling uninspired for so long, To Do list IV sat fallow for quite some time, with only a brief excursion into fantasy closet organization.
- Complete phone rewiring bonus chore. Finish what you start.
Repair stucco around new French door in my room. Scratch coat done 20 Sep.DONE Sand, stain and varnish threshold for French door in bedroom. Threshold removed 20 Sep.DONE, BUT the threshold is cupped and won't sit flat, so I have another bonus chore to do.ALL DONE 4 Jan 2009
Remove old electrical panel, repair stucco damaged in the process. Remove old service entry. Repair of the stucco would be convenient at the same time as I'm doing other stucco work. 13 Sep. stucco scratch coat in place.DONE Still need to patch roof in area of old service entrance. Have metal shingle. ALL DONE 11/09
- ALL DONE 11/09 Complete electrical install at kitchen French door. All parts at hand. Really, it's embarrassing how long this has gone unfinished.
Pick colors, prime, and paint some swatches on the house to evaluate the colors in preparation for a whole house paint job.DONE 10-18
- Start with door and window trim color so that I can paint the French door frames. Started in Oct
- Weatherize the French doors then paint
- Prep and paint stucco. Started Oct 08
- Skip the eaves, since that's a big prep job and not critical to weatherize now
- DONE 11/09 Complete attic ladder install - needs
foam, trim, and paint.
- DONE 11/09 Put in power in attic w/ switch for attic light.
- TAKE OFF LIST Improve my bedroom closet by widening the door, adding a light, and using a modular shelf system such as that from Elfa (at The Container Store).
- TAKE OFF LIST Improve my son's bedroom closet by adding light.
- Secure large furniture in house in case of earthquake.
- Put in more soffit vents. Attic was drawing like a boiler from existing few vents the other day.
- Replace screen over existing gable vent where it's missing. Would be good to do this not on the hottest day of the year.
- Garage improvements
- Install attic vent in garage gable end. I've now painted the vent white. Need to cut a few framing members for inside the garage.
- Install new rear wall / rear-facing door in garage.
- Install new garage door
- DONE 11/09 Reroute gas supply lines (to kitchen and garage) in preparation for taking my interior wall down.
- Replace / repair computer room window.
- DONE Replace existing kitchen countertop. Use laminate. Replace sink at same time.
- ALL DONE 11/09 Repipe house. Peter Clarke (peterclarkeplumbing.com,(310) 343-1959) recommends PEX. Pex is allowed only after special review in my area. I had a conversation with the City to see if I can qualify for an exception to the general rule, and the answer was likely yes. The review process will take about a week. Start by repiping the meter to house line - This activity set to start June 30. Do the interior when I cut into the bathroom wall and have the garage prepped.
- Don't forget to plan new hose spigots.
- hot water spigot for outdoors?
- Pipe size: DONE. New supply from street will be 1", down to 3/4" main line in house w/ 1/2" lines to each fixture.
- Install tankless water heater. After review with Peter, attic installation is OK with minimum sized tankless heater, though Peter prefers exterior wall for access / inspection reasons. Exterior wall requires larger spacing from windows than I have available, so up to the attic is is. Purchase in 2009 or 2010 in order to get tax rebate. Link to the rebate-qualified heaters.
- Tankless heater may need new power outlet .
Garden / Yard Improvements
- Prune Brazilian Pepper tree - started 16 Mar 08 Finish what you start.
Rethink entire front yard garden for fall, 2008 - My native plants are tooPartly DONE 31 Dec 2008 and earlier Dec by removing large buckwheat plus moderate changes in design. Still need better design or year-round compensating prettiness. large andunfocused and the meadow is not living up to expectations.
- Put in at least one more sprinkler for meadow area. It may not get watered often, but I'd like it to have complete coverage.
- Move the front yard native scheme onto the parking strip (between sidewalk and street) in a way that continues to allow car access from the curb side
- Planning: Continue line of meadow border. DONE. Probably use festuca rubra and pavers in the center, low bushes, taller grasses, or other ground cover at the property line edge of parking strip.
- Install patio area for bedroom French door entry.
- Regrade back yard selectively so as not to have ponding near house. Dry creek?
- Use custom pavers for hard surface so as to match side yard?
- Install brick pavers in N. side yard.
- Shift grading to shunt drainage water away from house.
- REMOVE FROM LIST Demolish patio behind kitchen
- Install new patio with California native grape arbor. (Or do I want a fruit tree arbor?)
- REMOVE FROM LIST Plan for hot water in the back yard. Outdoor shower? (see repipe)
- DONE 11/09 Get rid of dirt from the back yard.
- DONE 11/09 Replace driveway - I have a design that I'm mostly happy with. Included in design: separate entry path, driveway adjacent planting, trellis over garage. Concrete pavers which allow water infiltration. Have contacted Miguel Cisneros (who did neighbor's patio) for bid.