2008-02-24

Bloom tour of my garden

Let's see what's blooming today in my garden. Some garden bloggers are organized enough to do this on the 15th of each month.

Verbena lilacina (Lilac Verbena), Phaecelia tenacetifolia (Wild Heliotrope), and Achillea millefolium (Yarrow) at the bottom.


Goldfields. This is my worst shot of the day because the flowers are out of focus. The camera also seems to over-saturate on small colorful bits as well. These are blooming at the margins of my meadow. In times past, they apparently covered acres. They are very short lived and are the first to show their faces.
My salad citrus. Well, they were flowers once. Meyer lemons on the right. Oranges and tangerines on the left.

Mexican sage. This has good years and bad years. I think this will be a good year. I'm gradually phasing it out of the garden.

California poppies. This is a maritime variety or a maritime hybrid. A neighbor had wild seeds from Mexico from year ago and some ended in my yard. Can you see the color fade at the edges? That's the key. The foliage is slightly different from the inland poppy as well.


Salvia clevelandii Alan Chickering. A hummingbird was on this in the morning.


Salvia spathacea (Hummingbird Sage). I didn't see any hummingbirds on this sage.


Mimulus (Monkeyflower). This blooms for a long time.

Cauliflower. Yum.

Peas. Yummier.


Not shown: Ceanothus (Darkstar and one other whose ssp. name I have forgotten)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you have flowers on Allen Chickering right now! Amazing.

    My Verbena lilacina is quite enchanting too. It enchants me especially in the late afternoon light.

    ReplyDelete